Monday, July 15, 2013

Extinction of a Rare Bird



After the last week we had, these Woodruff's decided to go play for awhile.  Denny bought a used Sea Doo that we took on a maiden voyage.  The Sea Doo looks like it is brand new and runs great.  We had such a good time.  Lots of sun, fun and relaxation! 

Today, Denny and I went to see Dr. Murphy at Vanderbilt.  After the failure of the Erbitux, we were wondering what was in store for us today.  "What is the plan?", we asked Dr. Murphy.  She said, "First of all guys, you have to realize that this cancer is a rare bird.  There are maybe 500 people in the entire world that have it."  As those words left her mouth, I felt the icy grip of fear wrap it's fingers around my heart. 

She said there were 3 options at this stage of Denny's journey.  1) Using the four 1st-line of defense drugs to combat the disease; 2) Waiting for the tumor to be evaluated at Foundation Medicine in Boston for the genetic abnormality; 3) Do nothing and let the disease take it's course.  However, Denny has already been treated with 3 of the 1st-line drugs and could not tolerate the 4th.  The tumor hasn't been sent out yet to Boston as it had to be properly processed by Vanderbilt's pathology lab first. The delay will probably be about 2 more weeks.  Denny doesn't have the luxury of time.  The tumor is a fast growing one.  As for the last option?  Well, he is not ready to give up.

We have settled for working with the 2nd-line of defense drugs.  He will begin chemotherapy with 2 of these drugs on July 22nd.  We have a 5% -10% chance of success with these.  Denny and I are mainly hoping that these drugs will hold the tumor from growing until the Foundation Medicine report comes in.

Dr. Murphy then said, "We will try to do all we can with what we have to work with.  The difficulty in treating this cancer is that there is NO DATA.  There is very little information known about this cancer.  Right now, it is like we are looking at medicines on a shelf and saying  "Pick one".  She said it was time to talk realistically, 

The Foundation Medicine evaluation may reveal an abnormality that a drug exists to treat it with.  It may also reveal an abnormality with no known drug available or one that is still in clinical trial phase.  He will not be able to use the drugs still in trial, if that is the case.  In order to get into a trial, he would have to be without treatment for 4 weeks and Denny does not have that kind of time.

We sat in her office, side-by-side, gripping each other's hand like a lifeline as she laid out this information for us.  I watched her lips move as a bit of a song flashed through my mind.  I felt so angry that Denny; strong, courageous Denny, is fighting such a ferocious battle with limited weapons.  I'm sure you have heard the Eagle's song, "Hotel California"? Isn't it odd that just this part came to my mind?
"They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast;
Last thing I remember,
I was headed for the door,
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before...."

Then, her words came back into focus and I heard her say that we are fast approaching the time when all we will be able to do is make Denny comfortable from pain.  This is known as "Palliative Care".  He is already barely able to take the edge off with 2 Lortabs each night.  She gave him some stronger medication to help control the pain better. 

She said now would be a time for him to do the things he wants to do; see the people he needs to see and say the things that need to be said.  He asked what to expect as this cancer progresses.  She said, "Typically with head and neck cancers, the patient gradually gets more tired and stays in bed longer periods of time.  As the patient becomes weaker, they lose their appetites.  Each day, they get more tired until one day they don't wake up."  I think the horror of this visual overwhelmed us both.

She said that time is limited even with the Foundation Medicine evaluation.  She spoke of time in months not years.  Dr. Murphy said, "I don't have a Crystal Ball.  I cannot tell you how much time is left.  This tumor may grow slower in the next few months or it could speed up.  No one knows.  You need to speak with your kids and tell them time is limited because teenagers need time to process."

We left her office battered but not broken.  Denny said, "I am not ready to give up yet."  "That's good because I'm not either", I thought.  We both dreaded telling the kids.  Picture this scene: The little family gathered around the old oak table in the kitchen of their cozy log home. Then...BAM! A bomb drops in the middle of the table.  Denny did most of the talking; explaining to the kids what Dr. Murphy told us.  If battling this disease was not bad enough, watching the pain on the faces of our children tore our hearts out. 

However, TheWoodruff4 has rallied once again.  When Denny finished explaining the news, I said to the kids, "Look at your Dad.  See him?  He is the strongest, most courageous man I know.  He doesn't quit.  YOU come from that.  That is your heritage.  You need to keep focusing on being successful and not give up.  By succeeding, you are putting a stick in cancer's eye.  If you lose your focus, the disease wins.  Don't let your Dad's fight be in vain.  We can do this...together."

So, family and friends, we are asking for your prayers.  Pray for the extinction of the rare bird.  I hope we annihilate it and it never raises it's ugly head again.  Pray for another miracle.  The doctors said that Denny would probably not live through the surgery in 2010 either.  I think God demonstrated his power through the miracles we have seen.  Pray for strength to help TheWoodruff4 keep their unbreakable bridge strong. Pray for Denny to have relief from pain.  Most of all, pray for Denny to be given a weapon to fight this battle with.  The battle is still on.

Thanks for checking in.  We will keep you informed of any news as soon as it becomes available.

3 comments:

  1. You guys are amazing!! I am in deep prayer for Uncle Denny and all u guys. I feel selfish saying this, but I want you guys to know that your story is inspirational to me and makes me a better person. I can't thank you enough for that. Uncle Denny: your courage, positive outlook, perseverance, and what I call a "light" for life is heroic. These traits are infectious on us all that are in contact with you and cancer can never take it away. Keep up the fight!!...James 1:12 "Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." --Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will certainly keep you all in my thoughts and prayers! I completely believe our thoughts are real things, they go out into Universe and come back to us. Your story I think is an example of this exactly...you have believed in the past on the best and greatest outcome and so it was...so stay the course! It may sound like voodoo...but visualize, visualize, visualize! You have a beautiful family and although you all have had to endure some very trying times I am sure, good can come of these trials as you well know! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. One reason I love reading your blog entries, beyond just staying informed and being able keep you and Denny and the kids in the forefront of my thoughts and prayers, is because you make us (at least ME) realize that none of my day-to-day challenges come close to what you and your family have been facing so eloquently, positively, collectively, gracefully. You remind me and MY family that giving up is not an option. You show us that life is worth fighting for and wallowing in sorrow gets us no where.

    Thank you again for sharing this personal journey with us all. ((((hug))))

    ReplyDelete