Thursday, April 22, 2010

Digging for the Pony

When Denny went through this the first time, all of the studies that I read said that people with a positive attitude were the category with the highest survival rate. Since we are going through this again, I feel positive Denny is going to beat this thing and come out of this experience better than ever. I'm reminded of a story I used to tell my students when I taught as an adjunct instructor.

A King had young twin sons. Only one would be able to rule the kingdom one day. "Which one would it be?" the King would ask himself. So one day he took the boys through the castle. He stopped at a beautiful golden door; opened it, and inside were toys of every kind. It was a dream room for boys. He told the first son, "I will come back for you in a few hours." He continued through the castle and stopped at a large wooden door. When the King opened that door, it was full of manure, a pitchfork and a shovel. He told his second son, "I will come back for you in a few hours."

Time went by. The King went to get his sons. When he opened the first door, he saw his son sitting dispiritedly on the floor; playing with nothing. "What are you doing?", the King asked. "Nothing", said the first son, "I'm bored; there is nothing in here that I want to play with." The King said, "What? You mean there is NOTHING in here that is interesting to you?" "No", replied the son. So they went to get the second son.

When they arrived at the wooden door, the King opened it and was amazed by what he found. The second son had his sleeves rolled up and was busily shoveling manure. The King said, "What are you doing?" The second son said, "Well, Dad, I just figured that with all this manure, there must be a pony in here somewhere!"

This sums up what I think about the situation Denny and I find ourselves in. Right now, we are digging through the manure. I'm also quite sure we will find the pony!

Love to all,
Deb

2 comments:

  1. Hi Honey,
    I know that you are reading these messages. Even though I'm the one posting the blog, I still wanted to leave this comment. You know how much I like the band, "Daughtry". They have a song called,"Life after you" I think of you when I hear these lyrics:
    "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter,
    As long as I'm laughing with you..
    ..All that still matters is love ever after,
    After the life we've been through."
    I'll be by your side through all of this and we will be laughing again soon.
    Plus one,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Denny...you have a wonderful wife and family...I know you will do just fine with your surgery and recovery...God has blessed you and I am sure he will continue to bless you with many more family fun memories! I look forward to waving many more years at my neighbor as he goes by! Just like Deb says, you stay positive and we will keep praying for you!

    ReplyDelete