Monday, October 13, 2014

Solitude

It's hard to believe that Superman has been gone a week. I have lived a lifetime since he passed away in his sleep holding my hand.

On Thursday, October 9th, we had Denny's visitation.  The funeral home did a beautiful job getting everything ready for us.  My wonderful friends, Heidi (sister of my heart), Mary Ellen, and Lori, filled the family area with tons of food and drinks. The flowers were lovely and the friends/family were many. Dana, Daniel and I loved hearing the sound of laughter as we greeted each person who came by.  Superman would have loved that.

As the faces of friends and family passed, I was lost in a world of memories that each represented.  We were married for 23 years and I was amazed at the depth our life together.  From the people we have met on our journey to the things we had accomplished, my heart was full.

On Friday, October 10th, we buried him with love in the pouring rain.  Soggy shoes, sodden clothes and bouquets of umbrellas were just part of the process.  His Pall Bearers were: Daniel Woodruff, Ben Woodruff, Travis Jones, Shawn Saale, Jimmy Woodruff,  Randy Lang, John Canady and Ron Reichelt. I watched the solemn faces gather around the one we will all remember; Superman.  Even in the gloom of the day, the beautiful Autumn flowers surrounding his casket brought life and color to this memory.  In the privacy of our last moment on earth as a family, Dana, Daniel, and I placed our hands, one on top of the other, on the lid of the casket and I said, "Once more as TheWoodruff4- We are strong and we are united."

The three of us left the grave site holding hands, knowing that Denny was at peace in heaven.  We went to the luncheon that my sister, Diane, Heidi, and Meg had put together with the help of some of my other old friends, Janet and Donna.  It was all done in Superman's colors: blue, red and yellow.  The food was delicious.  Sharing stories with friends and family was priceless; a good memory to take home with us.   We drove home to Nashville through storms and tornado warnings.  As we walked in the door at 10 p.m. that night, we felt his absence.  We know it is going to take time to adjust.

On Saturday, October 11th, Denny had an extraordinary memorial service at Gladeville United Methodist Church.  I posted a picture of the beautiful flowers that were on the Altar.  Pastor Mark, Benny Jo MacDonald, and Wayne Foster spoke sincere and moving tributes of their relationships with Denny. Jenny Youngman sang and played "I'll Fly Away" in an arrangement I have never heard before.  She is beyond talented and I had goosebumps on my arms from the beauty of her song. I told them of the dream I had about Kevin and Denny just as I had in Missouri.  I hope it gives everyone as much comfort as it gives me.  The service ended and a terrific meal of fried chicken, mashed potatoes and other great dishes were served.  Our Church family did a spectacular job in every way.

Many of Denny's work friends were present.  Denny's boss stood up and said a few moving words in his memory.  I had tears in my eyes when he was through.  The Colonel of the Army Corps of Engineers-Nashville District was there in uniform.  He shook my hand and told me of Denny's influence and positive change he made while working there. I appreciated that.

Sunday came and it was time for my little birds to fly.  At noon, Dana and Dan left for school.  We had a group hug and off they went - with a toot of the horn and a wave good-bye. I was glad they were together for most of the journey back into their lives.

I stood on the sidewalk in front of the house and looked around.  All at once, I heard silence.  No familiar face was waiting for me inside.  Everything looked the same but I knew it was going to be different.  I waited for the sadness to come.  To my surprise, I just felt peace.  Denny isn't suffering anymore.  He doesn't have to fight for life because he has it...eternally.  I feel peace because I know I did everything I could for him while he was mine.  That dream comforts me in ways you can't imagine.  So I turned to enter our house and as I did, I soaked up the solitude.

Peace, love, comfort and a legacy of strength and grace have been bequeathed to Dana, Daniel and me.  The memory of our Superman will always live within us....

No comments:

Post a Comment