Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Sweet Dreams, Superman...

It has been very busy since my last post.  Hospice came in on Monday and I completed the paperwork.  Denny was sleeping,  He got up for about 20 minutes and answered some questions but dozed most of the day.  The weekend's activities pushed his strength so he tried to relax on Monday,

The paperwork took hours to fill out.  We had to go over all the medicines, symptoms, insurance, etc.  The nurse was very nice.  She listened really well and made some good suggestions.  Denny seems to be more calm when I am around.  He was having anxiety, though, with the breathing problems he was having.  Not being able to breathe out of his nose was really bothering him.

The hospice nurse, Gailia, ordered him a prescription for an anti-anxiety drug to help with this as there is nothing that can be done about the breathing.  The tumor growth will eventually cause all breathing to be done through his mouth.

Gailia ordered a hospital bed so that we can keep his head elevated.  It arrived yesterday.  The equipment company set it up and it is working great.  She also ordered some more supplies that will help keep Denny comfortable. Denny slept much better last night with his head elevated.

This is the difficult news to share.  The hospice nurse that has been assigned to us, Sandy, said that the tumor appears to have advanced into his brain.  Denny is experiencing dementia-like symptoms as well as some other neurological problems.  He has tremors in his hands and his feet are restless.  He is picking at his covers on the bed.  His left eye is not tracking due to the tumor growth. Sandy said this is not due to medication as I called them first thing in the morning with the changes I saw.  It was obvious before I had even given him any medications.

Denny's brother, Jimmy, came down yesterday evening. He has helped me with getting Denny's shower and watching over him while I went to the store.  My neighbor, BJ, has been in and out helping immensely with bedding and other sick-bed items that we needed.  I just want everyone to know our neighbors are really caring people.  They have become our Tennessee family. Here's a shout-out to the Stahls, BJ, and the Pinkstons. We love y'all!

Sandy came by this morning with some more equipment for me.  She said she wanted to check on Denny and see how we were doing. She is wonderful and lives close by.  Hospice has been an extraordinary thing; lots of support for me and comfort care for Denny.

These are certainly tough times for TheWoodruff4.  I called the kids and told them of their Dad's deterioration.  They were quiet and sad on the phone.  Both have tests this week and are having trouble concentrating.  Please say a little prayer for them.

Last night after Jimmy had gone to bed, I gave Denny his last dose of morphine.  (He is up to 600mg per day to control the pain).  I leaned over to give him a kiss and to tell him I love him when he said, "Will you marry me?"  With tears in my eyes, I said, "Yes."  He smiled and drifted off to sleep. Sweet Dreams, Superman...


2 comments:

  1. Debbie I'm sorry all of you are going through this. Know that all of you are in my daily prayers.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete