Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Angels in Disguise

Denny and I went to see the oncologist on Monday.  He was not scheduled for an infusion; just labs and an office visit.  When the oncologist saw him, she revised her original plan for Denny's chemo schedule.  Instead of having him wait another week for chemo, she decided to schedule him for an infusion right away.  She said the Irinotecan needs time to work.  She felt he was having a "minimal response" so she wanted to get the infusion going.  She said, "Let's give this some time to work."  He will not be able to get an infusion on the 15th so his next infusion will be the 22nd.

Denny is battling nausea right now.  We got some different medicine to help keep his stomach settled.  He is eating soft foods because the tumor causes bulging in the roof of his mouth.  He is particularly fond of sherbet because he says coldness feels good to him. He is doing a great job of keeping hydrated.  He drinks Ensure, iced tea, V8, water, and gatorade.  Those are all good things.

I want to share some wonderful things with you.  First, Dan got a Men's Club scholarship from church.  He can use it to supplement his meal plan so we are very happy about that.  Along with that came an envelope with $500 cash from an anonymous donor for Dana.  We did not have Dana apply for the Men's club scholarship this year because we did not want the kids to be competing against each other. So this generous person(s), wanted to make sure she wasn't left out.  TheWoodruff4 were speechless! We plan to pay it forward.

Those of you on facebook know how much I value my co-workers.  They are such positive and encouraging people.  When I go to work, I know I will come home feeling stronger. They do this for me.

Yesterday, I went to work and was worried about Denny and thinking of how this Irinotecan was making him feel bad.  I guess I was different than usual because my co-workers picked up on it and asked me what was going on.  I told them and, as usual, they surrounded me with love and encouragement.

A few hours later, my friend, Jess, sat down next to me and said, "We want to do something to help you through this. We are going to start making meals for you and Denny to help take some stress off of you." Now, my wonderful friends at church have offered the same thing and I told them things were not bad enough to put everyone to that trouble.  However, my work friends see things differently.  Being healthcare people, they do what they think is best and do not listen to me. Haha! So, my Angels in disguise, have put together a schedule for themselves to supply meals for Denny and me.  I got a text last night telling me when and where to pick them up (since Denny and I will be at the hospital those days).

With all the terrible news we have been seeing lately, doesn't this make you smile? I had tears in my eyes because I didn't know how to thank them.  I'm used to being the help giver not the receiver. As my friend, Sami said, "It is humbling, isn't it, to let people help you? I know because I've been through it too,  Just let people help you,"

I wish I could thank all of the people who have helped us just in the past week. You know who you are!  This blog post would go on forever if I posted all the names.  Yes, we are in a different state from our family but we are surrounded by love.  Denny and I just want to say, "Thank You,"

1 comment:

  1. We are always thinking of you guys and we have our church praying as well, the more the better. It was great seeing Denny last weekend, missed you Debbie.

    ReplyDelete