Monday, September 15, 2014

Thanks, Dad!

Denny had an infusion of Irinotecan on September 8th. Since then it has been a battle with nausea and other gastrointestinal unpleasantries. Superman has tried his very best to overcome these issues but we had to get medical intervention. This chemo is so strong and harsh. He has had a very rough time. He has lost 7 pounds in one week. The oncologist is very concerned about this so she has admitted him today at Vanderbilt. They will be giving him anti-nausea drugs and other IV fluids to help get the situation under control.

This morning when we woke up, I could tell he was having a difficult time. I got up, fed the animals and ran to the grocery store for some things that might help. He looked so white and still, it was scary.  As I drove, I could hear myself whispering, "Come on, Superman. Come on, Superman". I want, so badly, for him to fly out of trouble once again. My knuckles were white; gripping the steering wheel in tension. I had silent tears rolling down my cheeks. Suddenly, it was as if I stepped outside myself and looked at the condition I was in.  I could hear my Dad's voice say "Guilliams' don't quit!" Well, Woodruffs don' t either. I went home and got this ball rolling. Denny is now cozily esconced in a private room, drinking Root Beer and eating a cookie. We are not quitters. We are fighters. Thanks for the reminder, Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Please let Dennis know his Corps "family" is thinking of him. And he doesn't have to make his tee time for the Blagg golf tournament this Friday if he's not up to it. We'll find a replacment. And we'll keep him in our thoughts as we play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ben. However, his last words to me when I left the hospital were "I'm still playing in that golf tournament". Well, alright! Go Superman!

    ReplyDelete