Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's all good!

3:30 p.m. Denny is getting stronger and stronger. We have had an actual conversation today. I am amazed at the things he is remembering. Dr. Chicoine said he wouldn't remember being here but I'm beginning to wonder. Denny's memory is pretty sharp for someone who has undergone such extensive surgery. He is just an awesome fighter! I forgot to mention in my previous post that the feeding tube was out by 9:30 a.m. He has been much more comfortable pain-wise today. He is off the major stuff and on a lower dose of pain meds now. He said by tomorrow he will be ready for visitors. Visiting hours are from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Because infection is still a major concern, if you are sick or have any kind of infection, we ask that you refrain from visiting until it is cleared. (There is a antibacterial foam outside of his doors to put on your hands before entering his room.) Also, in order for him to get the rest he needs, we ask that the visits be kept to about 15 minutes. We know how much you care for Denny and have his best interests in mind. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Your "team" support has made all the difference. Thank you!
P.S. To friend, Harvey, thanks for the lovely comment. It shows what a big heart you have!

11:45 a.m. Physical and Occupational Therapies both returned to test Denny after I posted this morning. Both feel that unless something drastically changes, Denny will not need therapy upon discharge from the hospital. (No date has been set for discharge yet.) The special sunglasses I requested (called "cocoons") worked wonderfully for Denny. The bright lights in the hallway were too much for his eyes so these did the trick. Thanks, Alan! The sitter has been removed from his room. He seems almost back to normal; still a subtle difference but nothing major. When I left to do this post, he was sleeping. He took a pain pill as opposed to getting the medication through an IV. It has been a busy day in Room 10574. This is progress. He is still not up to visitors. Sleep and food are necessary right now. It's all still good!

8:30 a.m. Wow! What a difference a day makes! I got here this morning and Denny was sitting up in bed eating breakfast. I mean sitting up on the side of the bed with his feet on the floor; like he was pulled up to a table. Occupational therapy had been in working with him. The feeding tube is still in so I'm putting the pressure on to get that thing out. It is making his throat sore.
He really seems like himself. The sitter is still there but I have a feeling they will be stopping that soon. The change in him is subtle now; not as obvious as it was yesterday. That must mean the swelling is going down a little. Dr. Chicoine had a CAT scan done on him when they pulled the lumbar drain to make sure everything was okay. The CAT just showed the swelling; nothing else. It's all good!
I knew today was going to be better. When I woke up, the sun was shining. When I got to the hospital, I got a great parking place. When I walked in, a nice old gentleman said to me, "God's Blessings to you!" Yes, it's all good!

Love to all,
Deb

2 comments:

  1. What a great day! Great News!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, just writing to tell you to "Hang in there." I'm sure we all really appreciate the time you take in keeping us "blogged in" on how Denny is doing--and how you're doing. From my point of view you are simply amazing. Denny is one lucky guy, in more ways than one! In reflecting on this trying time with Denny and how courageous you are in this adversity I found several quotes that helped me understand and appreciate the courage you are demonstrating daily. Maya Angelou said, "One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest." Cicero said much the same thing over 2,000 years ago, "Courage is the ladder on which all the other virtues mount."

    And, I may add, I think Love adds to and enables courage. Debbie, keep on truck'n.
    LUVU
    Harvey

    ReplyDelete