Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The good news is Denny came home from the hospital last night.  The bad news is his white blood cell counts are so low that Chemo scheduled for Monday has been cancelled.  The Ugly?  Well, Superman's arch foe has returned. 

The cancer is growing at an alarming rate.  The left side of his face is starting to swell again.  He is not doing too well today with pain management.  We are going to call the doctor on Monday to see if he can start radiation.  We can't let the cancer get a grip on him. 

He is trying to relax in his chair and watch sports on TV today.  He has been taking pain meds and drinking lots of fluids.  He says the roof of his mouth is starting to feel funny again.  I went to Wal-mart and bought some soft foods I think he can handle.  I got some soups, fruit cups, Gatorade, and Ensure.  He needs to eat healthy in order to keep strong.

I'm still cleaning the house with Clorox and sanitizing all the linens.  I've wiped down the TV remotes, wall switches. lamp pulls, door knobs, etc....  Think about what you touch every day in your house.  I'm trying to keep it all as clean as possible.

It is a strange, sad, Easter this year.  Last year, Dana and Justin were dying Easter Eggs. I was fixing a big family dinner to eat after Church.  This year, Dana and Justin are no longer together.  No eggs have been dyed. I'm fixing food for the boys to eat tomorrow while I'm at work.  And Dana?  She can't come home because of risk of exposure to the gastrointestinal flu I had.  With the 2 week incubation period, it would put her right a final's week to get sick. 

Added to that, I feel really helpless in this battle Superman is fighting.  It is hard to watch someone you love suffer like this.  I asked, "Denny, can I get you anything? Gatorade? Ice Water?"  He replied, "No, just pray for me."

So hurry up, Monday!  I plan to be on the phone getting some kind of plan in motion.  Superman has fought too long and too hard to be derailed now. I'm getting out my briefcase.  I've got my list of phone numbers ready and I won't quit until a plan is in place. Onward!



No comments:

Post a Comment